Tuesday 20 December 2011

The True Cost of Christmas

Phew, I have done it!  I have finally finished the Christmas presents, (well almost, my nephews' pinatas are drying as I type).

So, you will all be waiting with baited breath to hear how the challenge went?! 

Last Christmas I spent a ridiculous £1212.00 on Christmas presents, panto tickets and a huge organic turkey for my family, (even though I am vegetarian; people sulk if they don't get their traditions :)

This year, I wanted to get that amount down to £200.00.  A potential saving of over £1,000 on last year.  The scores on the doors are in and I almost did it!  I spent £265.72 on presents, show tickets, a festive lunch with my sister and a small organic turkey.  Which is still a massive saving of £946.28 on last year.  I am slightly disappointed that I didn't make my target, but it is still a huge improvement on where I was last year!

So, how did I do it?  Well, basically I made as much as I could using things I already had.  Here is a selection:




I made felt Christmas tree decorations,










Jewellery,












Hot water bottle covers,










Scarves,











And pinatas (still to be finished!)

I also gifted my time, in the form of giving my sister a week's worth of childcare, so that she can go on a much deserved break with her husband.










I economised by putting together a gift basket for my grandmother myself, rather than buying a pre-packed one, (I had the basket already and made the jam myself).

Santa will be bringing my husband a free tie (worth £65), that I picked up with a voucher from a newspaper.  And Number One Son is getting a few well chosen presents rather than the PS3 he got last year!

I also re-gifted a couple of things, which is a bit risky.  Father-in-law is getting a jazz CD, which Number One Son bought and discarded after one listen.  And my little cousin is getting a giant pack of Mecano, which was Number One Son's from about 10 years ago.  I made a note to my cousin to say sorry that the Mecano wasn't new, but I am hoping Father-in-law doesn't notice that the CD is second hand!

My own father is getting a Horse Chestnut Tree, which is gorgeous and has self-seeded itself in my (tiny) garden.  It will soon out grow it's spot, so I think my dad's big country garden will suit it much better! 

The money basically went on books for various nieces and nephews, Number One Son's modest presents and a little bit on raw materials such as hot water bottles, sweets and felt.  The only other avoidable expense has been postage, (ouch, I will use Amazon direct delivery next year for my nieces in China!) and Panto tickets (it is a real family event after all).  Oh, and that blooming turkey...!

No comments:

Post a Comment