Sunday 1 January 2012

A Blank Sheet Beckons


The bells tolled and the clock struck, and 2012 has begun.  After all the feasting and presents, it is now time to think of things to come. 

I know that not everyone agrees with New Year's Resolutions, feeling that they are akin to taking a big stick and beating yourself with it, repeatedly.  I take a more optimistic view.  I feel that the act of taking the old calendar down from the wall and putting a brand new one up, is like taking a big, crisp, fresh sheet of paper to write your life down on.

I have to admit that I normally don't fit into the Scottish stereotype at all; you won't find me dancing along Princes Street in my kilt at midnight with a tod of whisky and a chunk of shortbread.

In years past I have often found Hogmannay itself to be wildly depressing.  The feeling of being unable to change my future, of being literally stuck, was difficult to bear.  But this year was decidedly different, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I feel that I am in control of my life.

First up: I have stopped being a slave to a stressful job, and not having the dread of returning to work after the holidays is a huge relief.

Secondly: I have started to stand on my own two feet in the past couple of months, in terms of not relying on my parents.   Small things, like buying my own pantomine tickets, (I know, ridiculous at the age of 34), have made me feel so much better about myself.

Thirdly: I really am beginning to feel that I can live a life that I enjoy, through writing, drawing etc.  I just need to stop doing so much of the drudgery activities, in order to make time for the more important things.

So, after much thought, my Resolutions are pretty much to continue in the same vein:

No 1: Be self reliant; if I can't afford it, I won't do it!

No 2: Get on with doing the things I enjoy and find more of them.

No 3: Stop worrying about what other people think and get on with what I really want to do.

What ever your resolutions are this year, I wish....

.... A Very Happy New Year to One and All!

No comments:

Post a Comment