Monday 30 April 2012

Make Do & Mend

As all of you fellow green-beans will know, April was Remade month.  So I thought it would be fun to share all of the things that I have fixed up and remade over the last couple of weeks.  Here goes:

No. 1 Son's Jeans (big old hole patched up)


My front door blinds (a repair to fix a snapped slat - too boring to photograph!)

A top I haven't worn before, which needed taking up & in (it had been lurking in the wardrobe for 2 years!)


And the piece de resistance, an old sideboard gifted to me by my in-laws, which got painted up (with a 1/2 tin of paint I had lying around needing used up).  
Before, looking a bit outdated and tired.
After, looking cool in Muted Mocha!


Every month is Remade Month for me. I find myself fixing stuff up all the time.  My next project is a snooker table, which I saved from being chucked on a skip.



I have to thank my Dad for my fixer-upper outlook.  A waste-not-want-not attitude was drummed into us kids.  If we needed anything in our house, my Dad would probably whip it up from the 'just in case' pile.  Need an Electricity Generator for those 70s and 80s power cuts?  No problem, Dad'll make one.  A Garage needing built? Leave it to Dad, he knew those blocks would come in handy.  New kitchen you say?  Dad's got a lovely one just here, which Jim down the road is chucking out! 

As a teenager I thought my dad was nuts, what with all the following us around while muttering and switching off lights, combined with his general hoarding tendancies.  Now I realise he was just ahead of his time!

So, it is great to see the idea of fixing things, rather than chucking them out, being championed by 10:10 and others.   You can find out more here:  http://www.1010global.org/uk/remade  One thing's for sure, I know my Dad will approve!

How about you; What have you Remade and saved from the scrap heap this month?



3 comments:

  1. The sideboard looks wonderful! I'm always remaking and saving from the scrap heap. I'm currently making wee collage cards from old train tickets and my next project involves up-cycling an old kimono into various things including chopstick bags and fabric jewellery and hopefully some bags, though that last may be a little overambitious....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds brilliant Crafty Green! Chopstick bags - loving it!

      Delete
  2. Great jobs! I love fixing things, I have such a large pile of things that need patching up that I am soon going to work on :) It is so satisfying to fix things x

    ReplyDelete