Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Mother of all Thrifty Birthdays!

One of the ways I am saying Goodbye Magpie, is by giving myself a strict budget of only £100 to spend on birthday cards and gifts for 12 months.  Seven months in, I have very limited funds left, but thankfully I now only have four family birthdays left to cater for, hooray!

Mumster Two's Suitably Ironic Card
Two big birthdays came up this month.  Mumster One and Mumster Two (i.e. my mother and my mother-in-law) in very quick succession.



First, let's get the confession out of the way.  I got Mumster Two's birthday wrong and missed her actual birthday by a few days, meaning she didn't even get a 'birthday wishes' phone-call.  'Favourite Daughter-in-Law points' were deducted for that one, whoops!






None-the-less, a few days behind schedule I did manage to send her down a handmade card with a suitably ironic ink-drawing on it.  And I picked up a fab gift from the lovely Mary's Living and Giving, Save the Children charity shop I work in.  I chose two lovely wooden painted bangles and a matching necklace.  Which are right up Mumster Two's street.



For Mumster One.  I did manage to get the date right!  So thumbs up on that one.  She also got a handmade card and a gift from Save the Children.  This time I selected a Sophie Kinsella book and a really pretty purple necklace (which handily matches a bracelet I bought her last year).

The presents looked as good as new and I don't think either Mumster actually realised that the gifts were charity shop finds!

Total cost: £6.00 each.  What a Bargain!


3 comments:

  1. lovely gifts, I'm sure they'll be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gifts! How did you make your second card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Zoe :O) I made my mum's card by drawing a letter M with a pencil and ruler and then putting in tons of little ink drawings of everything I could think of beginning with the letter M. So she got a Monkey, Marbles, Mars, Magician, Manatee, Monument, Manor etc. etc. When I was finished I rubbed the pencil line out and voila!

      My mum (and the rest of the family!) then had to identify all of the drawings. As my mum said, it was good for her 'old' brain ;o)

      Delete