Tuesday 17 April 2012

A Thrifty Business: Charity Shop Volunteering

Although I spend a lot of time blogging about saving money, Goodbye Magpie isn't just about reducing living costs, it is actually all about finding a better way of living.  A way of living that isn't about spending and buying, working and stressing; but is about living a pretty happy and satisfying life.

For example: this picture of koalas, sits on my desk and makes me smile everytime I look at it.

On the other hand, the sound of the washing machine beeping incessantly to tell me to come and empty it makes me go 'grrr' on the inside.  (Damn you Hotpoint beep creator!)

So, in essence, I am looking for more Lovely Koalas and less Annoying Beeps!

And it is with this thought in mind that Operation Goodbye Magpie has taken a new turn.


I have decided to take giving back to a whole new personal level.  I have taken up post as a Shop Volunteer, at my local Mary's Living and Giving, Save the Children shop!

I can report that it has been a successful step.  The shop is a really nice environment to be in.  Other volunteers are friendly and fun and it is all organised by a super-energetic manager who is all up for letting everyone get hands on with the shop.

It is pretty good to know that while I am enjoying myself categorising books (one of my all-time favourite activities!), arranging shelves and helping with window displays, I am also raising money for a really good cause. 

As I was getting ready to head down to the shop last week, the Today Programme was reporting from Liberia, one of the poorest countries in Africa.  And Save the Children's work to reunite 'lost' children with their families was highlighted.  Now, that made me feel good!  Koalas all round!



My biggest challenge is going to be keeping to my No Clothes Buying for a Year challenge!  I am seven months in to No Clothes Buying and it is going really well, I don't miss clothes shopping AT ALL. 

Temptation is creeping in however, everytime I straighten the clothes out on the rails, or price new donations to go out on the shop floor.  But, I see it as an extra challenge.  Is it possible for me to wear fun outfits to work in the shop, from my own existing stock of clothes? I think I can!  I've just got to get creative.

This photo is what I wore yesterday (looking a tad crumpled by the end of a long day), I have never put these clothes together as an outfit before.  So I reckon I have loads of outfit combos to play with in my cupboards.

In the meantime, I still always have thrifty birthday presents to buy.  So I can support the charity shop in other ways, and thus avoid being a complete hypocrite!  Which is always a good move!

4 comments:

  1. This looks great and so much fun :) when I have finished my dissertation I hope to do some volunteering however I've not quite decided what I'd like to do!

    Also your outfit is great! You can make so many outfit combinations from your older wardrobe items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vegetarian Girl! Your comment about your sis enjoying working in Oxfam really spurred me on to get volunteering too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely outfit, I love mixing up my wardrobe. Just recently as i was putting my summer clothes back into the wardrobe, I found a new combination of items, which I'm looking forward to wearing if we get summer this year. I haven't bought clothes for a while either,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shopping in my wardrobe :) I think you are fab if you can resist the charity shop temptations; I don't think I could! Love your outfit :)

    ReplyDelete