Wednesday 6 June 2012

What the heck have I been up to?

I've been a bit quiet lately haven't I.  You may have been wondering what has happened to me.  Well, I have been doing two rather scary things.

First up, I have been getting organised for meeting a Children's Book Agent.  See, told you it was scary! 

I have been writing children's books since I gave up my 'proper' job almost two years ago.  I really like my books and ideas (well, I would wouldn't I), but it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to show them to anyone other than my husband, who also really likes them (well, he would wouldn't he). 

But, cheered on by supportive words from a friend-in-the-business, I got in touch with a Children's Book Agent I know and asked them to take a look at my books.  This culminated in an informal chat over coffee the other day.  And I can tell you, I have never prepared so much for a cup of coffee in my life before! 

The meeting went well and my books are being looked at as I write this.  I can't say any more at the moment, apart from that I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they can see potential in them.

The other thing that is keeping me busy is that I got a new part-time job.  But that isn't going so well.  Bouyed up by the fun I have been having in the Charity shop and the lovely Manager and fellow volunteers there, I went for a paid job, really, to keep my hand in, as I was worried about having such a long gap on my C.V. 

However, the job is really below my skill level and I am finding it hard to adjust.  It isn't that I mind doing menial tasks, I don't at all.  But I do really miss my opinion being taken into account and it is all leaving me rather tired and emotional.  I think I may have made an error of judgement by taking the job and now I am torn as to whether to jump off the sinking ship, or to hold on and hope that a lifeboat comes along.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience of taking on a low level job after giving up a senior role, maybe after having children or a career break like me.  Was it difficult for you?  Or did it prove to be the best thing you ever did?   

I will keep you all up to date with progress as it happens!


2 comments: