Sunday 9 October 2011

Tiffin Treat

I have been really enjoying having my morning coffee at home, in order to save money by not visiting coffee shops.  The target save for the next twelve months from making my own coffee is over £500!  As you know I am also trying to save money on my grocery bill, so my latest idea was to stop buying my usual fruit and nut cereal snack bar and to make my own snacks instead.  At 75p per bar my usual cereal bars may be yummy, but they are also costly. 

Afternoon Tea and Tiffin - Yum!

So, I have made delicious tiffin bars using up a load of ingredients that I already had in my cupboard!  The recipe was one that I adapted from BBC Good Food (which is a fantastic website, where you can find hundreds of great recipes which have been tried and tested by lots of other cooks, if you haven't visited it yet, I really recommend you have a look).  The best thing about this recipe was that I could use up all the little packets of almost finished biscuits that my son likes to leave in the cupboard to become a little bit soft!

Chocolate Tiffin
250g Assorted bisuits (I used ginger nuts, plain digestives and chocolate digestives)
250g of mixed nuts and dried fruit (I used a mix of all the little leftover bits of nuts, almonds and mixed nuts I had and dried currants)
150g Nutella (I have half a jar in the cupboard for ages, which my son left...)
150g Milk chocolate (I used some fancy flaked chocolate designed for hot chocolate, that I was given for Christmas)
100g Butter
140g Honey

 1. Line a 20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper
 2. Melt butter, chocolate and honey in a pyrex bowl placed over a pan of simmering water
3. While chocolate mix is melting, crush nuts in a large bowl with the end of a wooden rolling pin (or however you like to crush your nuts)
4. Add bisuits to the bowl and crush them up too 
5. Add dried fruit to the biscuits and nuts
6. Mix all ingredients together, getting all the bisuits and nuts nicely coated in the chocolate mix
7. Press the mixture into the tin and pop into the fridge to chill for 2 hours
8. Cut into chunk sized pieces
9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment