Thursday 6 October 2011

The Wise Owl Who Sits on the Tree of Knowledge

My latest birthday card is complete.  This one is for my brother-in-law.  Can you guess what he does for a living?...

Yes, that is right he is a Modern Studies teacher. 

I am really pleased with this card and feel like the colours have worked well and the owl, (which I based on a photograph of a Little Owl from my 'Complete British Birds' book), looks very cool and like a very stern teacher. 

Deciding to make birthday cards for everyone has certainly meant that I am practicing my drawing and painting much more than I would have done otherwise.  When you sit down to do a painting you know that you are going to be there for a couple of hours, so it takes some dedication to find the time to do it, a deadline certainly helps concentrate the mind!  When the picture works out and you are pleased with your work, it is a really good feeling, one where you know you have made something others will like and most importantly which you yourself like.  I just wish I had a scanner at home so that I could record all of my work properly (oh no, magpie alert!)

I am also really pleased to report that my sister loved her card (you may remember Geraldine the Guinea Pig), in fact she was so pleased with it she photographed it and put it up on her Facebook page!  I am delighted that my handmade card had such an impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment