Tuesday 17 January 2012

Reducing Our Rubbish

Our week's rubbish
Challenge No.8, to Waste Not Want Not, is going really well.  The first week is over and we managed to reduce our rubbish from the usual one bin bag full, right down to only one carrier bag full! Result!

And I have found even more ways to reduce our waste further for this coming week.  Most of the stuff we chucked in the bin last week was plastic wrap and food trays.  I would avoid buying them altogether, but No.1 Son is very awkward in his eating habits and I don't want to discourage him further.  The good news is that it turns out that the recycling bin at JW's work, takes plastic tubs and food trays; we could have been using it years ago if only I had thought to check!

We also went to the new local Farmer's Market at the weekend, where I was able to buy a huge sack of tatties and loads of other unpackaged veg.  Along with some delicious local butter and cream and the best baguette I have eaten in a long time!

JW's tasty lunch

After our trip to the market, JW had a really tasty lunch, and all sourced from within 50 miles of Edinburgh!  I had a very nice lunch too, swapping the sausages for risotto (which had a bit more food mileage I admit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment